Additional Call Properties

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Hi

I'm doing some work with a ShoreTel telephony system. I have an app that uses ShoreTel's web service SDK to place calls internally - this exposes additional call properties that their TAPI driver supports but is obviously not exposed via the ATAPI wrapper.

We use the ATAPI wrapper client side - is there a way I can do a low level call using the call handle from ATAPI to get these additional properties?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mike.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM
How do you get to the properties using native TAPI? Device specific extensions?

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I'm not sure I follow - I'm not doing anything with native TAPI. On the server side where the ShoreTel's web service runs I have a SetCallProperty method where I can pass a name/value pair. On the client side, their own COM wrapper for their driver has a GetCallProperty method which is how I know that the driver supports retrieving the custom properties. I don't want to re-write our client side app to use their COM wrapper as we've had a solution using your ATAPI wrapper in place for a few years and been able to switch phone systems without barely changing anything on the code side.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
There's a disconnect for me here - TAPI has a built in capability to send and receive device-specific data passed from the TAPI service provider (TSP). It doesn't sound like that's what your vendor is using here, instead they've got their own COM-exposed API which is in addition to TAPI. Is that correct? Obviously, as you noted, ATAPI only wraps what TAPI supports (including any device-specific features done through TAPI itself). I don't understand how you'd like to get to this data if TAPI doesn't provide it. If what you want is the native call handle to pass into something else (non-TAPI) as a key then you can use TapiCall.CallHandle - this retrieves the HTCALL which Atapi is using. Is that what you are looking for?

mark

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Thanks for the quick response :)

Sorry yes - you're absolutely right - their TAPI driver (so not TAPI itself) exposes these custom properties. I knew I could get the call handle - I guess the problem I have is I don't actually know how I then go about using that to get at these custom properties. I think I may just have to alter our client app to use their COM wrapper rather than the ATAPI wrapper.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I'd bet they expose it somehow with the built-in mechanism as well, it would be worth a call or email to ShoreTel support to ask... particularly since TAPI2 isn't COM-based so it would be surprising if they force you to go that route when your application isn't using COM for anything else..

mark

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Thanks - I've got a call in to ShoreTel too. I don't really understand why the haven't exposed the standard calldata as that would be perfect for my needs. I may have just realised a quick workaround which is to use their web service on the client side too. I can see the active call on the client side using that and get the property out that way. Its not pretty but it should work.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Mike.