Mute an active call

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Hi

Can the ATAPI library be used to mute/unmute an active call? and how can this be done?

Thanks
Ben
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Sure. Everything in TAPI is supported in ATAPI. Unfortunately there's no line support for this that I know of in the TAPI specification. You can, however, alter the handset/headset/speaker volume through the phone APIs. So, if the TAPI service provider supports it, then you would typically access the TapiPhone object for the associated line:

TapiPhone phone = line.GetAssociatedPhone(); // get the phone device

Then, if that comes back non-null, then try to get the Handset, Headset, Speaker objects from it -- you probably will need to open the phone device first to make them accessible. If THEY are non-null, then you can try adjusting the volume. The equivalent TAPI calls would be:

lineGetID(), phoneInitializeEx(), phoneOpen(), phoneSetVolume(), phoneClose(), phoneShutdown().

Good luck!
mark

Mark Smith

[email removed] | @marksm | 214-774-4749 | www.julmar.com/blog/mark

May 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Thanks Mark

If TapiPhone phone = line.GetAssociatedPhone(); // get the phone device_
comes back as null can I assume that my TSP doesn't support this feature, and is there a way that I can verify this?

Thanks
Ben
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Externally you could use the TAPI Browser (from the SDK) if you can find it .. call lineGetID with "tapi/phone" as the device string and see what comes back. From ATAPI, that's GetExternalDeviceInfo("tapi/phone") - it will return a byte[] with any data. What should be returned is the index to the phone device.

Very few TSPs ever supported the phone side of TAPI - most only did call control, no control over the handset itself (for example, Microsoft's TSP - Unimodem, provides no support for this). Only PBX/ACD controllers such as Nortel and Rockwell went the extra mile in my experience. Also, it's possible that if they didn't implement the phone specification, they provided some mechanism to perform muting functions through a device-specific extension so I'd check the documentation..

mark

Mark Smith

[email removed] | @marksm | 214-774-4749 | www.julmar.com/blog/mark

May 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I See. OK cheers Mark